Thursday, July 10, 2008

Touchy-touchy

A week or so ago my sister and I went to the San Diego County Fair and encountered numerous signs that stunt or hinder freedom, expression, and even personality. "Do not use the hot tubs." "Do not pet the cute and fuzzy bunnies." "Keep your hands in the ride at all times." And the following sign really got me. Where on earth can I go where I can freely hit, kick, and lick things at will?


Well...I had to travel east to our Nation's Capitol, Washington, D.C.!!! Thank You Founding Fathers for the Freedoms I do enjoy! I went to numerous museums where I touched things at my heart's desire! I touched real moon rock and a chunk of Mars, a space suit, and marble statues up the wahzoo. I thoroughly relished the experience.

Inside the Museum of Natural History I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw the sign: "Please Touch". Seriously!

I even tried on the Hope Diamond. Everyone said it matched my eyes (blue) and that I should wear it home. Instead I only wore it to a hoity-toity dinner at Palette one night. The thing is heavy, so I returned it in the morning. (Yeah, for reals.)

More on my trip to D.C. to come, if you are lucky.

3 comments:

3703 said...

why do you have to keep touching things?

Jay-Dub said...

My mom didn't hold me enough as a child.

(Just kidding Mom.)

rachel said...

Um, sick. Yeah, I love the fair and all but who would lick the windows there? Obviously enought people did to warrant a sign, but....really?