Friday, August 28, 2009

Wicked Time

A year or two ago I had the opportunity to go see the hit musical "Wicked" with my coworker, Gail, up in Los Angeles. The traffic was terrible and we ended up getting there late and we missed the first bit of the show. (Tragic, I know.)




When we found out that "Wicked" was coming to San Diego, Gail organized the purchase of tickets for a sizable group of coworkers. For months now, I have stared at the marked calendar and the ticket sitting on my desk. Finally Wednesday night was the night!

I left work in plenty of time to go home, eat and change clothes. In fact, I had so much time that I watched some TV and messed around on the internet a bit. I had it in my head that the show started at 7:30 pm.

Around 6:38 pm I was changing my clothes and trying to figure out which shoes to wear. I decided to check my wallet for the ticket to make sure it was in there. Yep I had it. A nice shiny ticket...revealing that the show started at 7:00 pm!

I flew out the door around 6:43 pm and jumped in my car. I said a prayer and spent the rest of the trip to the theater yelling at traffic. (Nothing was said that I couldn't repeat in mixed company or in front of my Mother.) Traffic was barely inching. I kept looking at the clock...6:48...6:52...feeling as though there was no hope of making it on time. I thought about turning around to go home. And then suddenly it cleared up. I found myself rushing down the fast lane, actually going fast! 6:56 just exiting the freeway. 6:57 stopped at a red light waiting to get into the parking garage...then waited for the parking attendant to give me my parking receipt and then waited for the elevator. I scurried across the courtyard-ish area as the warning bell was ringing.

I don't know how He did it, but I think the Lord stopped time. Somehow I made it to the show with minutes to spare.

Tender mercies. I did see the opening of the show. That helps. The show makes a lot more sense to me now.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Glad you got to go! Nice time stopped just enough to make it.:} Love that!
Layne and I thought about seeing it in S.F. while we were in CA - but, never happened. Still haven't seen it. Jealous you've seen it twice.