Thursday, January 26, 2012

If I didn't know enough nerds already...

My roommate's family is pretty deep into Ham Radios.** (Yes. It is "Ham" for all those of you who think it is "hand".) Ham radio is amateur radio for recreation, wireless communication and emergency communication. It is not used for commercial broadcasting or music.

Thinking it would be handy for emergency purposes (for the imminent end of the world when our cell phones won't work), I decided to join my roommate in taking the ham class and the ham test regarding concepts of electronics and radio regulations.

I sat through 10 hours of class to take a 20 minute test.

Don't worry folks. I passed the 'ol Ham Radio Technician exam. I am legally KJ6TOY. Now I can communicate with over 2 million other ham nerds across the world and even into space...what!? Yeah. We will keep the world in tact as long as we can.

I have even been practicing the phonetic alphabet (Kilo Juliet Six Tango Oscar Yankee) and now the only thing missing is...the radio?



**They are so deep they are honey-baked.

2 comments:

Lambini said...

oh my gosh! awesome! Nathan has a ham tower in his back yard. You'll have to communicate with him! You are so smart smart smart!!!!

Sally said...

Guess someone knows what to ask Santa for this year!