
Sunday the 27th of January, 2008, our Latter-day prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley passed away. He has served as the President of the church for a good chunk of my life - since 1995. I admire him for his endurance to the end as a faithful servant of the Lord. He had grace, charm, an undeniable testimony, and a cane - which he used to poke people and even knight Elder Eyring. The Church news has several articles on his passing, one of which contained tributes from public officials. I found this excerpt by Congressman Chris Cannon most touching:
"The passing of President Hinckley is a monumental loss. He was a man of sharp intellect and sharp wit....His legacy includes his unique ability to draw appropriate attention to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its doctrines without diluting our beliefs....President Hinckley touched my life personally in many ways. Even as a child, he would remember my name when I saw him. How many names can one person remember? I suppose it derives from how much a person cares for others, and President Hinckley cared more than any other man I have ever known....No doubt President Hinckley has already heard the words, 'well done, thou good and faithful servant.'"
Besides the cane, this is one of my favorite thoughts - that President Hinckley loved and cared for everyone he met and even those he hadn't met. I will miss President Hinckley's sweet spirit and charm, but amid the tears I can not help but think how happy he must be to be with his wife again.
No comments:
Post a Comment