Thursday, February 25, 2010

Orcas and bathtubs

Yesterday at Florida's Sea World, Tilikum (Shamu-look-alike) dragged one of it's trainers under water by her pony-tail and drowned her. It is a tragic story, however, the article I read on Yahoo! news (what do I expect?) just slays me.

“'These behemoths are denied all of their natural, instinctual inclinations, and we humans tend to think, ‘Well, this is just a bad animal.’ But it is a wild animal, used to running free in an entire ocean, but now confined to a very small space,' says Joyce Tischler, founder of and general counsel for Animal Legal Defense Fund. She compares an orca’s life in captivity in a tank to keeping a human being in a bathtub for his entire life."

Where the heck is Joyce from? Atlantis? That is the worst analogy ever. As far as I know, humans don't live in water. She could have compared a whale in a tank to a human living in a closet or a cell or heck, even some of my old apartments.


(By the way, that whale didn't go crazy, that whale went whale!)

No comments: