Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Return of Jom-Jom

Ah Memories...

Today in the lab Greg went down the hall to go get supplies from the stock room. He came back in the lab balancing a giant stack of boxes. It reminded me of the children's book entitled "Caps for Sale". A cap salesman wears all these caps stacked on his head. (Comedy ensues when the caps are stolen by monkeys when the man takes a nap in a tree.) The conversation naturally led down memory lane as we expounded upon the books we read as children. It is funny the things you remember about childhood.

There are so many classics out there:
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorist
Where the Wild Things Are
by Maurice Sendak
The Giving Tree
by Shel Silverstein
Blueberries for Sal
by Robert McCloskey
George and Martha
by James Marshall

One of my favorites was a series of books about a witch named Meg and her cat named Mog. The episode I vividly remember is one when Meg and Mog go to the moon in their "putting" spaceship. I was ecstatic to find a picture of the "put-put" clouds of the spaceship presumably zooming in space, but resembling to me an old broken down pinto that backfires. Good stuff. "Hold Tight! They landed in a crater." Tee hee.

I find that most memories we keep are pleasant, but this is not always so. I also shared with my lab-mates that in 5th grade we had to write our own book. I was the good kid who wrote a cute little story about a duck. The teacher sat me next to the large, mean, foul-mouthed, trouble-maker kid who wrote a nightmare-causing, terrifying book called "A Dog Named Jom-Jom", in which a dog bites people's arms off. I remember a picture of the bloody arm lying in a pile of red stained hay. It still gives me the creeps just thinking about it. I wonder where that kid is today...

It seems like everyone is writing books these days. Heck, even Madonna did it. When I do write my children's book, you can bet mine won't be about a dog named Jom-Jom. (I would hate to be sued by that guy.)

No comments: