Monday, January 19, 2009

Good Enough To Eat

Thanks to Kesler's comment on my bacon post, I whipped up a batch of Dark Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes. Truth is, they were delish. The cupcake itself was awesome, the bacon was just an added texture/salty sensation. The cupcakes would be marvelous with or without the BACON.


Here is the recipe, for you baking pleasure:

Ingredients:
12 slices bacon
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 eggs
1 cup Postum (Actual recipe uses cold, strong, brewed coffee)
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, postum, buttermilk, and oil. Stir just until blended. Mix in 3/4 cup of the bacon, reserving the rest for garnish. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.

Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 t0 25 minutes. Cool in the pan set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter. Frost with your favorite chocolate frosting and sprinkle reserved bacon crumbles on top. Dust with additional cocoa powder.

(I made my own chocolate frosting from a mixture of butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and water.)

Seriously, you should try these.

4 comments:

rachel said...

The next time I'm in San Diego can we have a bacon party? I heart bacon.

Lambini said...

I love bacon!! remember when we cooked a whole pack and ate it while watching a movie...ahhhh deliciousness!

BUT...I think these cupcakes have gone TOO far....

Aubri said...

Wow...you are so creative. Marc might really like these! The most important question is: Where did you get Postum? They stopped making it a year ago, and it disappeared! These actually look really good...

Jay-Dub said...

You can get anything on the Internet. Even Postum. But the truth is, my Dad had some in the cupboard. I can have him send you a cup...