Here is a recap:
Pinocchio is a stupid wooden boy who lights himself on fire...
After all of that, the fairy turns him into a real boy.
Yeah, there is a tad more to it, but what a dumb kid! Calling him naive would be generous. He went after pleasure and fame instead of gaining knowledge and having any concern for or loyalty to his family.
I wonder what message Disney wanted us to take home? With all of the singing, I assume it is that wishes come true, but I came away realizing wooden boys are just as dumb as live boys (no offense*).
*I like how you can tack on "no offense" and get away with anything. It is like talking smack about someone and saying "bless their heart" afterward. Example: "That girl is as ugly as a mud fence, bless her heart." See? All is forgiven.
3 comments:
J-Dub, you are a literary genius! I love, this post and I have to agree with you, Pinocchio is a fool. That Jimminy Cricket is the one to blame, I say!
Agreed Agreed Agreed.
I'm reminded of how stupid Pinnochio is every time I ride (which I make a point not to) the Pinnochio ride at Disneyland. Which, by the way, focuses on all the psycho parts of the story and then boom! Jimminy Cricket at the end of the ride before you go back out the wooden doors into the sunshine. Weird.
In full disclosure, you could do a similar post about most/all Disney films.
I can't hate on Pinnochio because the Pinnochio character in Shrek gave us one of the funniest lines I can remember with the whole "I'm a real boy! (as he's turned into a real boy) Awww... (after being turned back into a puppet)."
Freaking hilarious.
I loved the "bless her heart" reference. I literally hear it every day at work when some well-meaning Texan insults someone.
Post a Comment