Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Awesomeness is black and white


"When I am sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." - Barney Stinson

I keep getting asked, why are you so awesome? It is hard to explain. I just am.
Proof: I am taking piano lessons. I am no spring chicken, but I figured it is about time that I fulfill that duty (as a good Mormon girl). January 14th I started taking real lessons once a week.
In my four week experience, there are a couple of key things I have learned.
1 - You need to Practice.
2 - Fingers can be weak.
3 - When you practice at church during Family Home Evening other people can hear you.
Last night I arrived at the church building promptly at 7 pm for my forth lesson. I said hello to the 10 people who were at FHE on time and then snuck (not sneaked) away to the Relief Society room where I began practicing my drills and pieces. Several heads popped in while I was struggling. (That is where number 1 and 2 come in. I didn't practice like I should have last week and my fingers hurt. I figured pipetting in a lab all day would make my fingers uncontrollably strong and limber. (I have been known to strike fear in some circles - underground thumb wrestling rings for one.) Sadly I am sorely mistaken when it comes to the piano and have been told I have "weak fingers". Bah. Oh, and how can ten fingers play 88 keys anyway? I am no math major, but it doesn't calculate.) Anyway after an hour of practice I departed through the chapel so I wouldn't be seen by all the folks in the gym, but ironically I was greeted by someone who commented on my piano playing and relayed to me that during the FHE lesson the chapel doors were open and everyone in the chapel could hear me plunking away.
And that folks, is how to be awesome.

No comments: